Monday, February 15, 2010

Rufus rates....

Gil Scot Heron: I'm New Here. XL Recordings
Charlie Alex March: In The End. LOaf Recordings


He's says I'm new here...me too, although he looks a little older than me. I was going to rate this a week or so ago but didn't because it came with some listening instructions (and I'm a stickler for doing things properly).

They read:


LISTEN TO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER OPTIMUM CONDITIONS.Not in your car or on a portable player through a headset. (OK..Dad fire up the separates!)

Take it home. (Check)

Get rid of all distractions, (even him or her). (Seems harsh...Mum! Dad! Be Gone!!)

Turn off your cell phone. (I don't have one)

Turn off everything that rings or beeps or rattles or whistles. (MY TOYS!!!!!)

Make yourself comfortable. (Just had a nappy change so should be ok)

Play your CD. (We're off)

LISTEN all the way through.(Done)

Think about what you got. (Here goes...stick with me)

"There Will Be Blood" is a fabulous film, really engrossing, fantastic performances, beautifully shot and realised. Most grown ups love it, my uncle specially. One of the best films I've seen (Although I wasn't allowed to see the scene with the bowling alley...and I love bowling.Ho-Hum...anyhoo...). My point is this. Will I ever watch it again? Probably not. Tis a fantastic example of how to make a great, great film but I've watched "The Gremlins" loads more; and will no doubt again. Back to those instructions.

Think about who would appreciate this investment. (Not sure really, Fans obviously)

Decide if there is someone to share this with.( Nope)

Turn it on again. (OK but I won't change my mind. EDIT:Nope)

Enjoy Yourself. (You are kidding ain't ya?)

I want to recommend this but alas I cannot . It's pretty difficult for me to rate as he is great and his voice sounds awesome. The sparse (Rubin meets Burial) production really suits the generally down beat and world weary feel of the worthwhile messages hidden within. Go to here to buy if you like to buy... And what do I know anyways. I'm only a baby.

PS. On more positive note daddy tried me on some Charlie Alex March. In particular, a cover of Daniel Jonhston's "True love will find you...". Nice enough. Simply sung with a natty little string arrangement, but the gem is a ditty called "When the clouds clear". Truly special and splendid in equal measure, ambient, woody, home-made, not lo-fi, gorgeous and lovely. This is a fantastic EP and a great taster of what is to follow on his debut (released about now me thinks).

Buy the EP here.

Cannot wait!

Need pocket money...

Shoot! I don't get any!


I MEAN IT!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree re: There will be blood, but also re: Gremlins.
*shrug*